Friday, August 5, 2011

Not So Far, Not So Good

The city workers hit a gas line and rather than deal with an evacuation, I took my baby out of daycare. I still need to finish a project for work and I have to do that using my home computer. The project needs to be emailed by the end of the day.  In other words, I need to ride from work to home with my baby and when I am home, I need to get back to work.

I almost took a bus home but thought the ride would be easier. To take the bus I have to load my bike on the front of the bus, which is impossible with a toddler. I am sure a kind stranger would help but that leaves me with the same problem getting off the bus. It seemed easier to ride my bike, but the little man fell asleep.

I did not like to see him looking like a bobble-head on my handle bars. He was still supported only by the chair with no support for his head and neck.  His head bobbed up and down and back and forth with the motion of the bike. It is freaky.  For me, I think he needs to be an active participant in the bike ride and if he is asleep, I need to be even more protective of him. I could feel the mommy protection instinct bubble up. I had to call for a rescue.

It feels like defeat as I wait for my husband to pick me up with a toddler sleeping in a bike helmet on my lap two blocks from work.

No comments:

Post a Comment